A FEW EASY STEPS TO GET YOURSELF BACK ON TRACK.
Posted on January 28 2018
- Push yourself to get up before the rest of the world - start with 7am, then 6am, then 5am.
- Wake up, get up and get into it before you start to think of reasons why you can’t make your workout, don’t stop to check your Facebook or Instagram just get moving and keep moving.
- Push yourself to fall asleep earlier - start with 11pm, then 10pm, then 9pm. Wake up in the morning feeling energized rather than depleted.
- Start your morning with a tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar, the juice of half a lemon and greens powder in warm water. Not going to lie, this does taste disgusting, especially first thing in the morning but it kick starts your digestive system and helps your body absorb nutrients better.
- Clear your mind and start your morning with a workout. It doesn’t have to be a gym session, you can start by fitting in a 30-minute fasted walk in every day and weights in the afternoon.
- Don’t complicate your meals. I know some meals can be super boring but your body will thank you for it later. Try and prepare a fresh lunch, steamed veggies and a piece of protein that’s the size of your palm. Squeeze lemon all over it.
- If you are still hungry after a meal begin by increasing your greens and lean proteins.
- Always prepare your meals ahead of time! Failing to prepare is preparing to fail. I always keep boiled eggs, almonds, or a piece of fruit in my bag. You can even chop up some veggies ready to steam or juice up some greens and fruit and put in the freezer so it’s already done and ready to go.
- Aim to drink over 3 litres of water per day.
- Using a light spray of coconut oil when cooking.
- Allow two black coffees a day. I absolutely love Iced Long Blacks or short blacks with a dash of milk.
- Avoid any treat meals for the first two weeks of eating cleaner. Fuel your body with clean healthy meals that will fuel and transform your body. I know it’s tough and not going to lie, I love a Large Quarter Pounder meal from McDonalds but I encourage you all if you want to see results you need to keep treats to the bare minimum.
- After two weeks of improving your way of living, eating better, eating cleaner, you can treat yourself to one cheat meal a week. I do recommend having it post workout after a big session like training legs then you can treat yourself to a high carb meal to spike your insulin.
- CARBS ARE NOT BAD FOR YOU, it’s just about eating the right carbs. Try to avoid starchy carbs like white bread, noodles, and pasta.
- You probably have heard this saying a million times but you truly are what you eat. EAT REAL FOOD. Try and avoid packet food. Bring it back to the basics. Cave man food.
- Keep those selfies coming. :) Progress photos and measurements are AMAZING. I always remind myself that I may not be losing weight on the scales but my body shape is changing through cms and I’m building muscle.
- MOVE YOUR BODY. It all adds up, even simple things like parking your car further away from the shops and walking over or taking the stairs at work or instead of waiting in the car on your phone for your kids to finish sport. Take the opportuinty of your spare 1 hour to go for a walk.
- I know we all have events on every now and then and want to let our hair down. I am a strong believer that life is about balance but when it comes to alcohol most alcoholic drinks are full of sugars that’s going to bring you 10 steps back to your fitness goals. I would try to avoid alcohol in general but if it’s an event that special to you like your sister’s wedding or your best friend’s hen’s night then try and stick to something cleaner like vodka, lemon and soda water. ;)
- Treat yourself to some nice Active Wear. ;) Part of the reason why I start LT ACTIVE WEAR was because I was obsessed with treating myself to beautiful active (I may have taken it a little too far spending $$$ on different brands ha-ha) but one or two outfit will motivate you for your workout. If you look good, you will feel good and CONFIDENT.
- PREPARE your workouts clothes the night before. One thing I absolutely hate is when I’m running around naked in the morning trying to find that supportive sports bra for my high intensity session or my squat proof tights for leg day, wasting 20 minutes just finding my outfit for my morning workout. Set aside what you’re wearing the night before. Even your skin products and underwear.
- COMMIT AND MAKE A PROMISE TO YOURSELF. Easy to say and harder to do but you need to make a promise to yourself the night before that you’re locking in your session, book in for your class, find a training partner. There’s been several times I have gone to bed a said “Oh I’ll just book in for that session in the morning” I’ve already broken that promise to myself because I didn’t commit the night before.
- REST AND RECOVERY. Super important. Your body doesn’t change in the gym, it changes at home while you rest and sleep. Aim to get 8 hours of sleep a night and sip on BCAA’s throughout training and your day (Available to Team Flex) this will help with muscle recovery and help with sweet cravings.
- Try and get off your phone an hour before bed time. The LED light in your phone will trick your brain into thinking it’s still day time. Prepare yourself for a good night’s sleep. Have your whole room pitch dark. Even turn off little lights like the small red dot on your tv. (OMG I HATE THAT)
- Mediate and yoga. Mind-set is huge when it comes to achieving your goals. Anyone can work out but if your mind isn’t in the right frame of mind you won’t achieve what you want to achieve. Set yourself some time to stretch, figure out what your grateful for, appreciate the little things. I love going for an early morning walk or late afternoon walk to help me zone out, listen to nature, watching the sun rise or set and appreciate the country we live in.
- I love adding small ingredients to help keep my metabolism working. Green tea throughout the day, add psyllium husk to your morning smoothies to get your digestive system working better, sprinkle cinnamon on your yoghurt.
- Remember being perfect all the time is not realistic. We are only human. Don’t work yourself up just because you miss out on one workout or slipped up by having a bad meal. If you do eat a bad meal don’t fall into the trap if thinking, “Oh well, because I ate a bad lunch I can just eat an unhealthy dinner because my diet is already ruined today” Allowing yourself to slip like this often continues into the next day and so on. The faster you toughen up and get back on track the more consistent you will be working towards your goal.
- JUST START. If you love doing body pump classes go do body pump. If you love to dance? Sign up to dance classes. Can’t afford a gym membership? All you need is your body or some small weights and to get moving. I find shopping at Aldi or Kmart you can pick up some cheap and affordable equipment. Even working out with a booty band. Your workouts might not be performed to the best they can be at first but working out with lower weights or reps for example is better than not working out at all.
- Ask questions, you girls can message me anytime. If you don’t know the answer to something or not sure if a certain food is good for you. ASK SOMEONE THAT KNOWS.
- KEEP YOUR BODY GUESSING. If you get into your workouts after 2 weeks and not feeling sore then you probably need to up the intensity or change up your training program.
- WEIGHTS DON’T MAKE YOUR BULKY!!! Girls, we don’t have the genetics to look like a man. Lifting weights will only help you to tone and shape your body.
AND ALWAYS REMEMBER TO LOVE THE BODY YOU HAVE WHILE YOU’RE WORKING FOR THE BODY YOU WANT.
LISA TRUJILLO. XX